Get out of credit card debt
Select’s editorial team works independently to review financial products and write articles that our readers will find useful. We may receive a commission when you click on product links from our affiliate partners.
When you’re heavily in debt with credit cards, sky-high interest rates can make it hard to get out of it. Sometimes a personal loan can be useful if you want a lower interest rate and fixed monthly payments.
Payoff offers a quick and easy application process for qualified borrowers looking to consolidate their credit card debt and pay it off over time at a lower interest rate. While every request is different, eligible borrowers can typically get rates between 5.99% -24.99% APR, which can seem like a lifeline if you have too much debt to see a clear path forward.
Select recommends Payoff on our best list of debt consolidation loans in part because of the helpful ways the online Payoff portal uses “Empowerment Science” to keep borrowers motivated as they tackle their debt. In fact, the name of the company, Payoff, is precisely due to the fact that the lender has designed its offers to help consumers get rid of their credit card debt once and for all, compared to other banks. specializing in general personal loans for home renovations, major purchases, education, etc.
Payoff gives users access to free tools to improve their FICO scores, and it offers free personality tests and stress assessments so borrowers can better understand how their financial and lifestyle choices really impact their lives. their wallet.
Coming up, here’s the full Payoff review by Select, looking at benefits, fees, loan amounts, and term lengths.
Personal loan review with repayment
Repayment of personal loans
Annual percentage rate (APR)
Purpose of the loan
Debt consolidation / refinancing
0% to 5% (based on credit score and application)
5% of monthly payment amount or $ 15, whichever is greater (with a 15-day grace period)
The APRs of earnings range from 5.99% to 24.99%. Interest rates are determined based on factors such as your credit score and income. The total amount borrowed and the length of the term also affect the APR offered to you.
Perhaps the biggest benefit to you with a Payoff loan is access to financial literacy tools. Acceptance of a Payoff loan is accompanied by membership in an online portal with the following resources:
- Free FICO® Scores updates every month so you can see your progress and monitor any changes.
- Team dedicated to the member experience which proactively supports borrowers with welcome calls and quarterly registrations during the first year.
- Empowerment Sciences to help members better understand each other and improve their relationship to money through Payoff’s scientific personality, stress and cash flow assessments.
Loans with repayment come with origination fees, ranging from 0% to 5% depending on your credit rating and your application.
There are no late fees or prepayment penalties if you decide to pay off your debt faster than expected.
Amount of the loan
Eligible borrowers can take out loans between $ 5,000 and $ 40,000. It usually takes three to seven business days to get approval. Once your application is approved, you will receive the funds as a direct deposit to the checking account you provided in your application.
Term of office
The term of the amortizable loan varies from 24 to 60 months.
At the end of the line
Payment is designed with the motivated debtor in mind. If you’re ready to pay off your credit card debt once and for all, Payoff offers a suite of tools, low interest rates for qualified borrowers, and FICO score monitoring to keep you on track.
The average Payoff borrower sees a FICO score increase by 40 points, based on a 2020 study of Payoff members who used a Payoff loan to eliminate at least $ 5,000 in credit card balances.
Of course, results vary and are not guaranteed. This is why it is important to compare the offers with a personal loan comparator, in order to make the best decision for your financial future.
Learn more about the questions to ask yourself before taking out a personal loan.
To determine which personal loans are best for debt refinancing, Select analyzed dozens of U.S. personal loans offered by online and physical banks, including major credit unions. Where possible, we have chosen loans with no set-up or enrollment fees, but debt repayment and / or consolidation loans may charge fees typically ranging from 0% to 10% APR.
When selecting and ranking the best personal loans, we focused on the following features:
- APR at fixed rate: Variable rates can fluctuate over the life of your loan. With a fixed rate APR, you lock in an interest rate for the life of the loan, which means your monthly payment will not vary, making it easier to plan your budget.
- Flexible minimum and maximum loan amounts / conditions: Each lender offers several financing options that you can customize based on your monthly budget and how long it takes to pay off your loan.
- No early repayment penalties: The lenders on our list do not charge borrowers for prepayment of loans.
- Simplified application process: We looked at whether lenders offer same-day approval decisions and a fast online application process.
- Customer service: Each loan on our list provides customer service available by phone, email or secure online messaging. We have also opted for lenders who have an online resource center or advice center to help educate you about the personal loan process and your finances.
- Disbursement of funds: The loans on our list provide funds quickly by wire transfer to your checking account or in the form of a paper check. Some lenders (which we have noted) offer the option of paying your creditors directly.
- Automatic payment discounts: We have noted lenders who reward you for signing up for automatic payment by lowering your APR from 0.25% to 0.5%.
- Creditors payment limits and loan amounts: The above lenders offer loans in a range of sizes, from $ 1,000 to $ 100,000. Each lender advertises their respective payment limits and loan amounts, and a pre-approval process can give you an idea of your interest rate and monthly payment for that amount.
Note that the advertised rates and fee structures for personal loans are subject to fluctuation based on the Fed rate. However, once your loan agreement is accepted, a fixed rate APR will guarantee the interest rate and the monthly payment will remain constant for the duration of the loan. Your APR, monthly payment, and loan amount depend on your credit history and creditworthiness. To take out a loan, lenders will conduct a serious credit check and ask for a complete application, which might require proof of income, identity verification, proof of address, etc.
Editorial note: Any opinions, analysis, criticism or recommendations expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of Select’s editorial staff and have not been reviewed, endorsed or otherwise approved by any third party.